Intro to Seaming Knits - Tues., July 9, 6:00-7:30 pm
Instructor: Cynthia Gilbertson
Date: Tuesday, July 9, 6:00-7:30 pm
Neat seams can make the difference between a project that ends up disappointing you and one that looks ship-shape and blue-ribbon-worthy. Learn how to make beautiful seams in hand-knit items, whether working from side to side, cast-on edge to bind-off edge, or some combination. There is a small homework assignment to complete before class.
Skill Level: Easy
Homework: Please complete 3 separate knitted pieces, following the instructions below.
Supplies to bring to class:
(registered students receive 10% off class supply purchases, excluding patterns)
- Completed homework pieces (see below), blocked and ready for seaming
- Leftover yarn from the homework
- A blunt yarn needle (the bent-tip style is recommended)
Homework Instructions: Work the following pattern 3 times, so that you have 3 separate pieces when you are done. (They should each take about 20 minutes to complete.)
Using US 7 or 8 needles and a light-colored, smooth, worsted weight yarn, CO 25 sts.
- Knit 8 rows.
- Work in stockinette stitch for 10 rows (i.e. *knit a row, purl a row* 5 times)
- Block all 3 squares and pin down the edges. If you find yourself tempted to skip this step, note that it will make the edges lie flat for easier seaming!
Alternative Homework Option: (This must be approved by the instructor ahead of the class meeting, please call the shop for details.)
If you currently have a knitting project that is in pieces and needs to be seamed, you might be able to bring that to class instead of the homework pieces described above. However, because seaming techniques differ depending on whether you are working side-to-edge, side-to-side, or edge-to- edge, and also depending on the stitch used for the fabric to be seamed, it is possible that your own project might not be a good match for the techniques we will cover in class. Please be sure to check with the instructor well ahead of the class meeting.
* See the main Classes page for our policy about class changes and cancellations.