ADULT Surprise Jacket: 3 Sun: Oct 27, Nov 24 & Dec 15; 1:00-3:00 pm
Instructor: Diane Pearsall
Dates: 3 Sundays: October 27, November 24, and December 15; 1:00-3:00 pm Note that there are significant breaks between each of the sessions so you can KNIT!
The Adult Surprise Jacket is based on Elizabeth Zimmermann's classic Baby Surprise Jacket, but sized for adults! The unique construction of this garment and the mystery of how it finally becomes a sweater make it a really interesting knit, and since it is primarily garter stitch (knitting every row) it is a totally appropriate project for advanced beginners. However, we strongly recommend that you make the Baby Surprise Jacket before taking the Adult Surprise Jacket class, so you are familiar with the general construction.
During the course of this 3 session class you will be making an ADULT-sized jacket. Instructions for all sizes are included in the pattern book. We will spend the 1st session doing the math involved in determining how many stitches you will need to cast on for the jacket you'd like to make.
Skill Level: To be successful in this class, you must be comfortable with casting on, and making knit, purl, and slip stitches. You must also have time to do a significant amount of knitting in between the class sessions. As recommended above, if you've already made the Baby Surprise Jacket, you'll be ready for this class. There is HOMEWORK to complete before the first class (See below)
Homework to be completed before 1st class: Choose your yarn and do a 6" by 6" garter-stitch swatch to determine your gauge. You should choose needles and yarn weight to produce a gauge of 3-4 stitches per inch.
Supplies to bring to class:
(registered students receive 10% off class supply purchases, excluding patterns)
Note about size & yarn choices: The finished size of your Adult Surprise Jacket (ASJ), and the amount of knitting you will have to do between sessions, is determined by yarn weight and gauge. For this class, we are recommending a Worsted Weight yarn so you can more easily see your stitches and also finish your jacket more quickly. The shop sample was constructed using Lett Lopi yarn, which is available in a number of different colors.
- Pattern: Ideally, you should purchase the book that contains instructions and helpful tips for all sizes of the Surprise Jacket. The book doesn't cost all that much more than the pattern booklet -- Elizabeth Zimmermann's "Adult, Baby, & Child Surprise Jacket" (Schoolhouse Press #5) -- but the book provides more guidance for designing an adult sweater, using colors, and a number of other things that are not included in the booklet. Both the book and the booklet are available for purchase in the shop or online.
- Yarn: Refer to the pattern for information about taking your measurements and working a gauge swatch to determine the yardage you will need of your chosen yarn. If you need help with a yarn choice, please call or visit the shop. If using Worsted weight yarn, you will need between 2000-3500 yards, depending on size. The shop sample used 5 skeins of Lett Lopi in the main color and 1 skein each of 4 accent colors for a small adult-sized jacket.
- Needles: 30" or 40" circular needle in the size suggested on the ball band for your chosen yarn
- Notions: Safety-pin style stitch markers, row counter, pencil, paper for note-taking
* See the main Classes page for our policy about class changes and cancellations.