Child's Icelandic (Colorwork) Sweater - 3 Tuesdays: Feb 19, Mar 5 & 12: 1-2:30 pm
Dates: 3 Tuesdays: February 19, March 5 & 12; 1:00-2:30 pm. Note: There is an extra week between the 1st and 2nd sessions, and the last session may be shorter.
This is a great project for your first color work sweater. We'll be making the "Fura" child-sized sweater (pattern link given below), using 2 colors of worsted weight yarn. The sample in the picture is made with Lett Lopi, but any worsted weight yarn can be used. The pattern covers chest measurements of 28, 31, 33 inches (roughly sizes for 5-6, 7-8, and 9-11 year olds).
We will learn to:
- Follow a sweater pattern
- Work with two colors and read a chart
- work in the round
- Graft underarm seams
Skill Level: "Confident" Advanced Beginner
Prerequisites: To be successful in this class, you should be comfortable knitting, purling, and recognizing the differences between knit and purl stitches. Some experience working in the round would be great, but not required.
Supplies to bring to class:
(registered students receive 10% off class supply purchases)
- A copy of "Fura," available to purchase on Ravelry at https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/fura. If you do not have a Ravelry account, a copy of the pattern can be purchased and printed for you at the shop.
- Yarn: You may use any worsted or Aran weight yarn that will achieve a gauge of 18 stitches x 24 rows = 4 inches square, unless you are not concerned about size. Yardage will vary between 656-984 yards, depending on the size you make.
- 24" circular US #7 (4.5 mm) needles, or size needed to get 4.5 stitches per inch
- Set of DPNs the same size as your circulars above. You can also use a longer cable circular for Magic Loop, if you already know the Magic Loop method (it won't be taught in class).
- 24" circular US #4 (3.5 mm) needles, or size one or two sizes smaller than your main needles
- Set of DPNs the same size as your smaller circulars, or a longer cable circular in the small size if you know how to do the Magic Loop
- A 16" circular in the smaller size would be convenient for the neckband, but is not required
- Notions: Yarn needle, stitch markers, scissors
* See the main Classes page for our policy about class changes and cancellations.