Hats That Fit! - 3 Tuesdays: November 5, 12, & 19; 6:00-7:30pm
Instructor: Cynthia Gilbertson
Dates: 3 Tuesdays: November 5, 12, and 19. The 1st session will meet from 6:00-7:30 pm. The 2nd & 3rd sessions will most likely be only an hour long from 6:00-7:00 pm.
This class will take you step-by-step through Nancy Lindberg's "Hats That Fit" pattern and along the way you will learn skills that will unlock an entire wardrobe of hat possibilities! In one pattern, Nancy Lindberg provides the tools you need to make nine different styles of hat in any size and with any yarn.
Sound too good to believe? Take this class and find out how!
Skill Level: Advanced Beginner / Intermediate. To be successful in this class you should know how to cast on, knit, purl, increase and decrease. If you've had some experience with knitting in the round on circular or DPNs, that would be great, but if you haven't, then you'll learn in class.
Homework: There is homework to do before the first class session. Instructions are given below, along with suggestions to help choose your yarn.
Supplies to bring to class:
(registered students receive 10% off class supply purchases, excluding patterns)
- Your Finished Homework (PDF with measurements)
- Yarn: Worsted or DK yarn in an amount determined by the hat size and style you intend to make:
- Child (16"-19") - 50g for square/round hat, 100g for pointed hat
- Adult medium (20"-22") - 100g for square/round hat, 150g for pointed hat
- Adult large (23" or more) - 150g for square/round hat, 150g for pointed hat
- Pattern: "Hats That Fit" by Nancy Lindberg. (Available for purchase at Northfield Yarn)
- Needles: 16" circular and DPNs in a size appropriate for the chosen yarn, plus a 16" circular that is one size smaller for the cuff.
- Notions: Stitch markers, tapestry needle
* See the Class Policies page for our policy about class changes and cancellations.
Please review the following homework and yarn suggestions for this class. After registering and check out, a link will be provided for a PDF download containing the following homework instructions and yarn suggestions. The link to the PDF will also be sent to the email address you provide during checkout.
Homework Instructions for "Hats That Fit"
Measure the head that will be wearing the hat before the first class. (If you don’t do this step, you can use standard measurements.) You will need two different measurements:
A: around the head above the ears
B: across the top of the head from earlobe to earlobe.
The pattern includes a diagram that indicates where to measure. Record the measurements anywhere you like, as long as you remember to bring them with you to class. You can download a PDF instruction sheet with space for the measurements or make a note as follows:
Name of person measured: ___________________________________________
Measurement A: ________________
Measurement B: ________________
Yarn Suggestions for "Hats That Fit"
Here are some of our suggested yarns for Hats That Fit, but there are many others that could work as well. If there’s a yarn you like that isn’t on this list and you want our opinion, just ask!
- Sweet Georgia Superwash Worsted • Madtosh Vintage
- Malabrigo Rios
- Gems Worsted
- Ultra Alpaca
- Lamb’s Pride Worsted • Encore
- Malabrigo Mecha
- 128 Superwash
- Lamb’s Pride Bulky
- Seasons (this is self-striping) • Encore Chunky
Yardage: 100g / 200y is sufficient unless you plan to make an extra-large adult size and/or a “pointed” (stocking cap) style, in which case you should purchase at least 150g.